4.12.06

Mummy's Corner - Teats Teats Teats

Baby bottles should be designed like AVENT bottles. No nonsense, wide neck, ergonomically designed. (Even though it is not economically priced) I mean, who needs cartoons on milk bottles? Haven't we been taught when we were young, not to play with our food...or the utensils? Besides, those cute pictures on milk bottles impress mummies more than babies.

Just like baby toys. They can be so facinating that I can spend hours at the infant section choosing one that can stimulate all the different senses of Qi and making sure my money is well-spent. I happily bring the carefully selected toy back home to Qi, only to discover she is more interested in the box or the tag that comes with it.

Oh...back to feeding bottles...as I was saying AVENT bottle are great! Sturdy and unlike other brands which look more like masak-masak, it is everything a milk bottle should be ... except Qi does not like it. In fact she refused to drink from it. I suspect it's the teats that are relatively harder than other brands of bottles. Hence I made an unreluctant switch to NUK.

This time round Qi adored her new NUK bottle with soft latex teats, and for me, I had an excuse to buy bottles with cartoons. Qi loved the soft teats so much that she spent an hour drinking her 120 ml of milk. And so much so that she frequently just fell asleep sucking on the teats.

It was really by chance, that I found out Qi is not a slow drinker at all.

She was very much misunderstood.

In fact, she could even finish her bottle of 180ml before I am done typing and uploading this post. What happened was, one fine day I tried to feed her water with a PIGEON milk bottle which I found lying around in her wardrobe. (Yes, my Qi has a wardrobe, not some mini chest of drawers nor a filmsy shelf hor) I was surprised she drank so fast from the PIGEON bottle. The very next day, I tried milk and viola! She finished her milk in 10 minutes.

Forget about anti-colic, I figure how much air can she sucked in in 10 minutes, right? I just burped her more often, burped her in between her feeds, after her feeds, as and when she is awake and I've got nothing better to do.

JUST BURP & BURP & BURP!

I really cannot understand why babies have so much 'wind' in their stomach! But nutmeg oil aka 如意油works wonders.

Anyhow, parenthood is really all about trial and errors. I have friends who swear by AVENT and NUK.

Heng, Qi prefers a cheaper brand.

1 comment:

Missy & Jav said...

gd work! great that you found figure the cause of Qi's slow drinking! sad to say, feeding Jav milk nowadays can sometimes be a battle. he's drinking from Avent now and he dun likes pigeon teats?? should i switch him to NUK for a try??